May the peace of Christ be with you! Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers!
Our online English and Cantonese service continues to be held at 11 a.m. at Canon Der’s home. You can join the service online www.stchris.ca and also make offerings.
Virtual Tea & Coffee – Today we will have a joint virtual tea and coffee to celebrate Father’s Day after church service through Zoom at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9059182205, enter password “490”. You may also call 647-374-4685 or 647-558-0588, then enter Meeting ID: 905 918 2205 #, when ask participant number, enter 1#. Also enter password “490 #”. All are welcome!
Daily Bread – Summer season devotional material, Daily Bread (June, July & Aug) are here. If you need an English version, please inform Rosettie (rlam [at] stchris [dot] ca) to mail one to you.
Have a wonderful Father’s Day weekend!
Yours truly in Christ,
Philip Der+ (The Rev. Canon)
Tri-Church Parish Nurse, Margaret Black, would like to offer some health tips during this pandemic. Wishing you good health!
Health Tip – Wk of Apr. 12
Protect your Physical Health – eat regular, healthy meals; get some exercise; get enough sleep; drink lots of fluids, especially water.,
You’re thinking “Easy to say; not so easy to do”. Let’s see if some suggestions will help.
1. Diet – It’s hard to “eat healthy” when you’re isolated. Some people have no appetite and have to force themselves to eat. Others “binge eat” on high calorie foods. They need to practice social distancing from their refrigerator! Eat a reasonable breakfast (e.g. a bowl of cereal and 1 slice of toast with some orange juice). Coffee or tea if you want. Have 1 main meal a day (lunch or dinner) consisting of protein (meat, beans, etc.) and 3-4 vegetables, raw or cooked. The other meal should be lighter (maybe an egg, bread or toast, salad & fruit). Eat healthy things you enjoy. And give yourself a treat once a day so you don’t feel deprived.
2. Exercise – hard to do alone, especially if you’re in a small place (apartment, condo, etc.) but so important. Exercise not only keeps your body in good shape (joints & muscles, etc. working well). It also will increase your appetite, help you sleep better, and improve your mental health. Get up and walk around your home/apt every 1-2 hrs for 10 min. If you have mobility or balance problems, just lift your feet up and down 15-20 times every couple of hours and remember to stretch your body and move your arms too, Here is a link to a Seniors’ Fitness Class discovered by one of our SWIFT exercise class members. It is quite good and is like being part of a group which really helps with motivation. https://youtu.be/sEk8bZbeZao
3. Sleep – Try to get 7-8 hr restful sleep at night to stay in best health. Establish a routine for your days – get up at the same time, eat at the same times, include exercise, go to bed at the same time. This structure helps your body and mind to prepare itself for sleep when it’s bedtime. Stop watching TV 30 min before bedtime and read a book or something not involving screen time as the light from the TV sometimes interferes with sleep, Think of something peaceful and relax before going to bed so that you don’t try to sleep when worried,
4. Hydration – Drink lots of fluids every day. Your body is 66% water so you need to keep it replenished every day. Drink 6-8 large (8 oz) glasses of fluid, mostly water, Have coffee or tea if you wish but avoid it after noon as it takes 12 hrs to remove caffeine from your system which can interfere with sleep, Juice is also good but in moderate amounts as it contains lots of sugar.
Reach out if you need help:
Toronto Mental Health Support – 211
Seniors Help Line – 416-217-2077
Seniors Safety Line – 416-899-1011
Crisis Help – crisisservicescanada.ca
During this pandemic, most church activities have moved to online:
1. Please join our Sunday English and Cantonese worship at 11 a.m. here at www.stchris.ca or http://facebook.com/stChrisAnglicanChurch. You may also dial in at 1 647 374 4685 or 1 647 558 0588, then enter meeting ID and “#”.
2. We also host Wednesday Bible Study in Cantonese. Now studying Sermon on the Mount. Please call 1-647-558-0588, then enter meeting ID and “#”. You may also join us at https://zoom.us/j/763604701; enter Meeting ID。
3. English Compass Youth Group
Every Friday 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Join us at https://zoom.us/j/394564835, enter Meeting ID. Look for Counsellor Ruth.
4. For meeting ID, other local small groups or activities, please contact info [at] stchris [dot] ca or call Rev. Canon Philip Der.
During this pandemic, please join our English and Cantonese bilingual live streaming Sunday Worship at 11 a.m. via our website or phone-in with following instruction:
call – 1 647 374 4685 or 1 647 558 0588, then enter meeting ID, plus “#”
For meeting ID, please contact your small group leader or email to info [at] stchris [dot] ca
We have launched the Nurturing Credit System, with the purpose to encourage parishioners’ spiritual growth and practice Christian living. We encourage everyone to get 10 credits before June 2015, and our goal is to achieve 500 credits church wide. There are many things we can do to grow spiritually and practice Christian living. For example, attending Sunday School, reading devotional books or material, audio and visual CDs or DVDs, or even caring by making phone calls and visits. All parishioners are encouraged to sign your name or colour the paper doll and put it on the poster.